This vegetarian baked beans recipe is very easy to prepare, especially in a crockpot or slow cooker, and you can make it more spicy to suit. It's also low in fat, cholesterol-free and high in fibre.
This is how is was prepared for the Games Night BBQ:
- 500g haricot beans
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube made up with a little hot water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Next day, drain the beans, cover with fresh water and simmer for 30-45 minutes until beginning to go soft.
- Transfer to the slow cooker (or a casserole). Add all the seasonings, mixing them in really well, and cook on low (or a very low oven setting) for 6 hours (until the flavours are well combined and the sauce and beans have become really thick).
Adapted from: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetariancrockpotrecipe/r/bakedbeans1.htm