A favourite from Jo's family recipe book - an excellent way to use windfall apples, and it freezes well. You do not have to use cider – apple juice will do the same job.
This amount yields about 30 slices.
290ml / ½ pint sweet cider – or apple juice
450g / 1lb sultanas
450g / 1lb prepared weight of cooking apples, peeled and cut into small chunks
340g / 12oz butter or margarine
450g / 1lb caster sugar
550g / 1 ¼ lb plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
1. Soak sultanas in cider or apple juice overnight.
2. Prepare oven at 180 deg C, 350 deg F, and grease a 30 x 30 cm (12x12 inch) tin or large roasting pan.
3. Cream sugar and butter.
4. Add eggs and a little flour.
5. Add remaining flour alternately with fruit and cider.
6. Bake for 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours.
7. Cool in the tin.
Add a Comment