This is a really moist spicy carrot cake - no eggs or dairy - and it's good with spelt or gluten-free flour.
9x6 inch tray
250g (8oz) wholemeal flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tblsp. ground cinnamon
1 tblsp. grated nutmeg or allspice
100g (4oz) margarine
100g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
100g (4oz) syrup (maple is best)
250g (8oz) carrots, finely grated
juice of one orange
50g (2oz) walnuts, chopped
50g (2oz) sultanas
zest of the orange
- Prepare oven at 160 deg C, and baking tray.
- Mix together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Melt the margarine with the sugar and syrup, then stir into the flour.
- Add grated carrots and orange juice, and the walnuts/sultanas or orange zest/sultanas, mix well.
- Spoon into tin, bake for one hour and 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar
Adapted from: June Care, BBC Radio Kent